Stropping Paste/Honing Compound
To be used evenly over leather honing wheel
To prepare the stropping wheel:
- Evenly apply a light machine oil to the leather wheel. Use enough oil to provide a thorough coating, but not so much as to saturate the leather and resulting in dripping. This will soften the leather and enable the honing compound to penetrate the leather
- Apply a thin coat of abrasive honing paste to the leather wheel using a wooden spreader or similar device. Distribute the paste evenly by hand turning the wheel while spreading.
- Connect the machine to power, then turn the machine on and continue to distribute the paste, still using the wooden spreader.
- Move the spreader lightly in a circular motion across the wheel.
- Once the paste is evenly distributed, begin sharpening.
- These preparations will be sufficient for sharpening five to ten tools. If you notice a drop in sharpening performance or have sharpened more than ten tools, repeat above steps.
- Do not let the compound dry—apply a few drops of oil if necessary
- Always hone or sharpen away from the edge and the wheel spinning away from hand piece.
- Never cut into the wheel